In May HRG gained control of Henley Town Council with far reaching plans to help improve Henley – reflecting what we had heard from residents. This newsletter describes the actions with which HRG has been involved since the turn of the year, and those still “work in progress”.
Our achievements so far in 2017
|Amenities||• reopening Henley‘s Children’s Centre as the Family Centre at D2 following closure due to OCC budget cuts.
• bringing Street Angels to Henley - now funded and seeking volunteers
• setting up a task force which has successfully cleared business waste and litter from the streets
• achieving another Green Flag award for the Meadows
• creating a wonderful Bee theme to get the town buzzing
• providing shaded areas in the toddler park. to enable all small children (especially babies) to sit in the shade with parents.
|Recreation activities||• opening the new skate park after a six year long battle - now SO popular!
• holding the first ever open-air Civic Service
• holding the Mayor’s Party in the Park
• celebrating Borama Comes to Henley
• successfully returning the Henley May Fayre to the town square
|Infrastructure||• mapping every road pot hole, and overgrown vegetation – with improvement actions agreed with the County including resurfacing Harpsden Road|
Our work in progress for the next 12 months
|Amenities||• providing adult gym equipment for Makins, refurbishment of the Makins and Freemans playgrounds, and new signage for Mill Meadows|
|Recreation activities||• completely transforming the Christmas Festival to make it a more enjoyable event for local residents|
|Infrastructure||• overcoming withdrawal of County funding for local buses and improving the service
• improving air quality – plans for improved walking and cycling routes, greening Henley, and vehicle pollution
|Youth engagement||• monthly Mayor’s meetings with student leadership|
The County Council has cut funding for many local organisations that previously received grants from the County. Wherever financially feasible the Town Council will endeavour to provide support to those organisations that are affected. If you would like to share your views on which organisations are your priorities for funding, please visit our Town Council Priorities Survey.
A big thank you!
We recognise we can only achieve these actions with the support of all the Town Council staff and all the Councillors – in conjunction with the residents and organisations that live or operate in Henley. So thank you for your help – and keep telling us what you think should change for the better in Henley.
Be a supporter
If you would like to support HRG in its activities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details of the various ways in which you can do so.